Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Unbelievable Diving Experience

It's been about three weeks since I came back from a sailboat cruise around the islands of Komodo and Rinca in Indonesia. It was exactly what the doctor ordered. An experience like this always smacks me in the head and reminds me how fortunate I really am!


Just before taking off for the trip, I was feeling pretty bummed out. If I'm really honest with myself I was simply depressed. Anyone who really knows me, knows that this is a bold and suprising statement coming from someone so proud and intense but that is what I was feeling.

I'm at another transition point in my life and there have been many things on my mind. I've been thinking about that fact that I'll be leaving my current teaching position here in Malaysia along with the experiences I've had here in Malaysia. I've also been thinking about the people that have influenced and touched my life here not only in Malaysia but also in Asia and the fact that I'm about to leave them. I know that I will always carry my experiences in my heart so they'll always be with me. Yet. these were the thoughts along with a grab bag full of feelings that were leaving me with a real empty feeling prior this trip.

Over a period of a week I witnessed these things:





The things that I saw underwater were something else! Over the week I made sixteen dives and each one (excluding one night dive) was special.

On this trip I was finally able to be in the presence of manta rays and they were so breath-taking to watch. The very first time I saw a manta ray was almost mystical because as I was looking out into the deep blue waters, even before I could see anything, I sensed it and then into my field of vision it appeared with its wide wing span gliding over top of me. The way that it flapped its wings seemed so effortless and graceful but also so powerful. There really weren't any words to describe it only an evoked emotion to hold onto and store in my mind.

The colours of the coral and plant life that I saw were so vibrant as the green coral contrasted with the orange sea fans.

Many people dive for many different reasons but for me I just want to have the chance to share a moment in time with another living creature.

To be able watch a turtle lope in the water, turn its head and make eye contact for a moment then watch as the turtle breaks that contact and care-freely swim away is something that gives me meaning and I was so lucky expereince that on this trip.


It's going to be sad to be a world away from so many breathtaking and beautiful places but I realize that I really shouldn't be regretful because so few people in this world have seen the things that I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment