Sunday, June 14, 2009

Semester's End

















SCH 4U - 67% of Period 4 and 33% of Period 1 (2 Sig Figs).


At the end of every semester, when I look back I wonder, “Have I really made a difference? Have I contributed to making the part of the world I’m living in a better place? Have actually contributed to the betterment of the young minds I have temporarily been entrusted with? ” I don’t know if I’ll ever know the answer to this question until maybe, ten years from now. All I know is that I always feel so empty when a semester ends. Does this emptiness come from me being distant with my students and not sharing more of who I am? Is it because I haven’t taken enough time to get to know the personal side of my students? Is it because there is a part of me that feels I haven’t been as good of a teacher as I could have? I don’t know if there ever will be an absolute answer to this emptiness that accompanies a semester’s end. I think that this a normal component in the cycle of being a teacher and each of these thoughts and feelings may be a contributing factor.


I want to thank my students because you all grant me the opportunity to help shape a small part of your lives. There are so many things in this world that frustrate and irritate me but when I see you all in action; the boundless questions you ask, the resilience you demonstrate, your quest to find your identity. It inspires me. You all may not realize it but it does, your actions inspire me and for brief moments this inspiration carries me through the rest of the day.



Whether it is tomorrow or twenty years from now, may you all find peace within yourself and a sense of bleonging in this crazy yet special planet we call Earth.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Meyer...
    Going to miss you...
    I am enjoyed your class even though sometime i was sleepy...lolz...
    Take care...
    -Justine-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir, life must go on. Life is full of mystery. we will not know what will happen even for the next minute. but here sir, what i know is when there is a breath in our lungs, we will go on and fight till the last drop of our blood to keep on living in this place we call Earth. so no need worry about us.

    we never leave sir, we are always in your memory and in your hearth. we might meet each other in the different part of earth if fate allow us.

    so until then, u must take care sir.

    from: MengSheng

    ReplyDelete